Meet Jenny, a marketing freelancer and aspiring entrepreneur. She started learning at the beginning of the pandemic last year with the goal to gain new skills and boost her resume while in quarantine. Now she not only feels more confident in her marketing skills, she’s also getting ready to launch her first apparel line!
2020-2021 was not a very good year for me. I bet many other people also feel the same way. But when life knocks you down, I believe that one way to approach a setback is to get working and focus on yourself.You can never go wrong with investing in yourself no matter what happens.
During quarantine, I had a lot of time on my hands and I couldn’t go out. I figured that I could be productive even if I was at home. I set aside time to learn while helping our family business thrive during the pandemic. I also kept busy being a freelance social media manager, working out, and pursuing my hobbies.
After a year of taking courses online, I can happily say that I have become a confident and aspiring entrepreneur and better marketing and advertising professional. I listed my course certificates on LinkedIn, and now, many companies are reaching out to me and offering me job opportunities that I didn’t think were possible before. The courses that I took helped me not just with my career, but also with my physical and mental health.
Here is a list of courses I’ve completed so far and a description of some of the things I learned:
1) Project Manager by Google- This course taught me on how to manage projects using traditional and agile methods, create project documentation, and develop strategic communication skills.
2) Book Keeping by Intuit- This course enables me to gain the professional skills you need to succeed in the bookkeeping field with no degree or prior experience required.
3) Marketing Analyst by Meta (Facebook)- This six-course program is designed for anyone looking to gain in-demand technical skills to kickstart a career as a marketing analyst or better analyze their business
4) Social Media Marketing by Meta (Facebook)-In this program, I learned how to create a social media presence on Facebook and Instagram that people want to follow! Social media marketing jobs are amongst the most in-demand skills for organizations of all sizes.
5) Digital Marketing by Google- Throughout this program, I learned how to use tools and platforms like Canva, Constant Contact, Google Ads, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, HubSpot, Mailchimp, Shopify, and Twitter
I’d like to have a career in marketing while also building my own businesses––it’s the best of both worlds. Through online learning, I was able to become confident in starting my own business. I have been in the process of creating an e-commerce platform to sell clothing and accessories from my own apparel line, and will be launching it very soon!
I was also able to start my own personal website that serves as my online resume and portfolio. I eventually want to share my learnings and knowledge through blogging. I want to inspire others to work and focus on themselves, and for them to be an inspiration to others as well.
My advice to my fellow learners is to never compare yourself to other people when it comes to their achievements. Instead, be inspired by them. We all have our own timelines and things we want to achieve in life. Be proud of your progress every day, and celebrate your wins whether they’re big or small.It will be your time soon and you’ll be glad you pushed through and never gave up.As a woman, people sometimes underestimate what we can do. But we’re proving them wrong and showing them what we are made of.
At Mantissa College, we deliver academic programmes ranging from Certificate, Diploma, Degree and Masters in the fields of Business. In addition, we also offer Professional Diploma Qualification (Career Academy) is crafted to assist learners with hands-on learning and gain entry-level Professional Certificates from industry-leading companies such as Google, Meta, Intuit, and others.